You are your primary Instrument…
Whether that’s a Strad or a factory violin is up to how you use what you have!
All of our technique is about how we move ourselves, it’s just the end result is sound. Everything after that is varying levels of refinement. So if we improve how we’re moving, supporting and creating the movement, the end result also improves.
Who are they for?
String-Moves workshops are suitable for professional musicians, music students and amateur musicians who play a stringed instrument, and want to improve their ease and comfort in playing and performing. We’ll explore different ways of helping us play better, more easily. Some workshops will be more general, others more specific.
String-Moves are for players of either bowed strings (violinists, violists, cellists, and double bass players), or plucked (guitarists, ukelele, banjo, mandolin, theorbo, harp, lute etc). The sessions will be practical, you’ll have tools to take away, and we’ll have time for discussion and questions.
(Dates, details, and registration below…)
In these sessions we’ll look at:
- How your whole body supports your technique.
- Developing your self-awareness so you can feel what you’re doing more easily.
- Learn to sense yourself from the inside out.
- Discover skeletal movement and structure, and how to use it to better support your hands, shoulders and head.
- You’ll refine your sensitivity to how you are moving
- Learn to reduce the effort and excess muscular tension (in order to find more effortlessness, and a reduction of pain when playing).
- Work with your body not against it.
- Improve your self image, (which is connected to how you think about, and habitually move yourself)
- Learn new options for greater freedom of movement.
What to expect:
Each workshop will focus on the relationship of our focus to the rest of our body. In the movement parts of the sessions, you’ll be talked through a sequence of movements, sort of like a physical jigsaw puzzle. We build up the picture a few pieces at a time.
Movements are repeated, and explored in different ways, to engage with your organic learning ability, curiosity, and ability to sense yourself. You’ll learn to use this awareness to release patterns of moving that are not serving you so well, and create new movement options to move towards, to improve your playing from the inside-out.
Many people report greater freedom of movement, easing of pain or chronic tension, greater clarity of intention, and depth of tone.
What you’ll go away with:
- Movement classes specifically thinking of string playing technique.
- Mini-StringMoves strategies to integrate into your practice.
- Q&A session
- Audio recording of the session to download to revisit the ideas again.
- Access to the video for 6 months after the workshop.
Sunday 2nd May: 10am-1pm (GMT)
Finding Comfort in Extension
Workshop for Double Bass players
Sunday 28th March 2-5pm (UK time)
- Discover: more effortless playing
- Strength through connection for the Left hand
- How to support your shoulders from your whole skeleton.
- Reduce tension and effort
- Integrate the ideas into practice
Registration & Payment
Any problems with payment/registration, just drop me a line, by clicking here.
Dates for your diary 2021, Sundays 2-5pm UK time:
Sunday 6th June
Sunday 4th July
Sunday 5th September
Breathing with the Bow Part 2
Finding Fluidity in the Shoulders 2
Feldenkrais for Pluckers 2
N.B. You don’t need to have been to the 1st part to join us for the 2nd- it’s to let you know that the material will be different in each.
Interested, but can’t make these dates? Join the String-Moves mailing list via the form above.
What’s it like to attend one of these workshops? Here are some testimonials from recent attendees:
“Thank you for another wonderful workshop yesterday. When I was playing at the end I had a new sense of connection and freedom all the way to my feet. I was really aware of them on the floor; it reminded me of being on a lovely beach, standing in warm sand. I sense I will be able to cultivate that feeling as I ease back into playing the viola and violin.
The movement [you taught] taking the hands behind the head is the one that really gets into the knot in my left arm. It’s similar to a movement the physio gave me, but the way you did it is very helpful and I am hopeful it will get my arm working normally again.” Phil Darcy, professional violist.
“Thank you very much for the String-Moves session today. It was very enjoyable and informative. I was very grateful that today focused mainly on shoulders. This has been my ‘problem area’ for many years. I have pain around a vertebrae between my shoulder blades. I could really feel the pain at the beginning of the session. By the end of the session, I couldn’t feel the pain anymore. Fantastic!!” Sarah Wilson, Violinist.
Past Workshops available to purchase:
Finding Fluidity in the Shoulders 1 – a recorded audio and video workshop
This is a three hour workshop that took place in February this year. Its focus was Improving comfort, and freedom of the shoulders, and integrating the movement lessons into the Practice Room. Your purchase buys access to the videos for six months (via my website), and downloadable audio files of the lessons.