How we can help you:
We work with all of you: your body, mind and brain together. We’re looking to improve how you think, move and feel, to improve the quality of your life.
We teach skills of awareness, reduction of excess effort and interoception. (the ability to feel yourself from the inside-out). We’ll help you rediscover easier balance, find more flexibility, and refine your skills.
When we move better, we have more space for positivity, and room to make better choices, to move more easily to move towards what you want in your life.
The way we work is gentle, but profound. By teaching you to become more aware of your movement patterns and thinking habits, we create new learning. Our brain’s ability to be plastic and change allows us to learn and change throughout the length of our lives.
We make the impossible possible, the possible easy, and the easy elegant.Moshe Feldenkrais
Photo credits: IFF; Zachary Kadolph, Unsplash
Improve the way you’re moving.
- We can help you change and improve your posture, whether at the computer, or the way you walk. Perhaps you’re looking to reduce pain, or move with more ease post-injury.
- Maybe you’re looking to age more gracefully, to maintain mobility as you get older – to be able to get down on the floor to play with your children and grandchildren.
- Shoulder and back pain, and RSI are some of the main reasons people come to see me, we can help with most musculo-skeletal pain and difficulties.
- Perhaps you’re looking to move with more ease, post-injury, and physio hasn’t helped as much as you would like. Or improve your current movement practises such as yoga, pilates or sports, to avoid injury.
- Often, our movement habits mean we stop moving in certain ways: because of injury or simply disuse. We can help you rediscover old abilities, and learn new motor skills.
- Because Feldenkrais works with neuroplasticity it is an excellent way to assist with neurological problems such as strokes, cerebral palsy, and MS.
- As you learn to reduce tension, pain, and stiffness, you can re-find the pleasure of movement .
- Or maybe you’d just like to evolve as a person, to continue learning more about yourself: from the inside-out. More understanding of how you work helps you learn how you can do more of what you want.
- Working with this unique sensory approach allows a non-judgemental approach that helps you empower yourself .
- By becoming more aware of what we are actually doing (rather than what we think we are doing), our brain makes new neural connections, and we can find new options, easier ways of moving. This improved kinaesthetic skill allows us to move in a way that causes less pain, feel better, and have greater efficiency of both movement and thought.
Improve your sense of mood and well being:
Everything we do is accompanied by a movement, thought, sensation and emotion. That’s neurological fact. Everything we think and do has an emotional hue. There’s room for all of you here.
- By improving your awareness of how you feel, think and move yourself you can improve not only your self-image, and relationship to yourself, but your relationships to others.
- Feldenkrais lessons help you feel greater calm and less anxious.
- We have a lot of experience successfully working with people who have specifically come to reduce their anxiety levels, and learn resources to cope with the stresses and strains of daily life.
- Through working with the physical realm of movement we don’t need to revisit trauma, but rather concentrate on releasing physical holding patterns of difficult emotions.
- We teach you how to feel safer in yourself so you can let go of excess tension that is holding you back.
- In attending to yourself, you learn better self-care, and the ability to feel at home in your body.
- When we are able to attend to ourselves in this mindful way, we grow the tools of resilience, we become more able to deal with the challenges life throws at us.
Refine your Skills
- Feldenkrais helps you improve your performance skills, whether musician/ singer, dancer, actor or sportsperson.
- My particular speciality is with musicians and performers.
- I come from a classical musician background, so am uniquely placed to understand the needs and strains of performing at a high level, whatever the situation.
- Through the lens of movement, I teach how to improve stage presence, reduce anxiety, more ease in technique, and greater artistic freedom.
Working with Children
I also specialise in working with children: with and without special needs.
I bring my musical abilities into our learning environment to create a sense of safety and communication no matter how old.
Having been a child who spent a great deal of time on the operating table, I am comfortable in most situations.
Do get in touch if you would like to know more.
Feldenkrais is experienced in different ways: Individual Lessons, Group Classes, or Workshops:
In One-to-one sessions we can quickly pinpoint specific issues, habits or behaviours that are holding you back, and offer options for improvement.
These lessons are hands-on, and we will observe your movement, and then move you with their hands – using gentle but profound movements, which can be astonishingly effective. Click here for more details.
Update: I am offering face-to-face lessons, with Covid-19 precautions in place. Click here for more details.
(picture: LS David Wong from the Army Music division having a session at the MusicDramaEducation Expo)
In group classes, we deconstruct the individual parts of more complex movements of our everyday life, to explore and improve them.
Lessons are taught through verbal instructions, creating a framework for the student to explore their movements at their own pace. If you would you like to know more, click here. Or try one out? Go here
Each lesson is designed to work on different parts of the body, with emphasis on feeling and sensing what happens in the body as you move. This heightening of awareness allows you to feel how you could move more easily. The classes can be deeply relaxing and restorative.
In a workshop there is time to go into topics in greater depth, for you to have a more intense experience, and the learning to become more internalised, quicker.
Previous workshops have been on
- Increasing mobility for low back and hips
- Finding ease in neck, arms and shoulders
- From the Feet up, focussing on feet for flexibility and balance.
- Focus on Breathing
At present, all workshops are online, via Zoom.
For more details go here
Workshops for Musicians
- Stage Presence and Anxiety (two sides of the same coin)
- Increasing Resilience
- Ninja Practise with Feldenkrais
- String Playing made Easier.
To find out more go here
What is the idea behind the Feldenkrais Method?
Movement is one of the seven processes of Life. By improving the quality of your movement, you improve the quality of your life.
Emma has taught at:
Interested, or have a question?